Assists the Chief Financial Officer in maintaining the accounting system and all governmental financial records. Balances accounts and compiles reports to show information such as cash receipts, expenditures, accounts payable, and accounts receivable. Performs routine accounting and bookkeeping tasks.
● Prepare, examine, and analyze accounting records, financial statements, and other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness, and conformance to reporting and procedural standards.
● Review and approve purchase orders, accounts payable entry batches, and revenue collection batches.
● Record bank account activity and reconcile monthly bank statements.
● Record interdepartmental and intergovernmental billing in general ledger.
● Record and track grant activity
● Record addition and depreciation of assets.
● File proprietary fund tax reports
● Assists in preparation of the annual budget.
● Assist financial officer with tasks related to annual financial audit
● Serve primary contact for all accounting software-related questions and issues.
● Create and maintain accounting software user accounts and permissions. Conduct training for new users.
● Adjust set up of accounting software modules as user needs change.
● Other duties as assigned. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field and 1-2 years of related experience to include governmental accounting, project management, and use of accounting software.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
● Strong computer and technical skills including proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Google Workspace. Ability to quickly become comfortable with the use and maintenance of new software.
● Strong analytical and problem solving skills when working with data input from several sources
● Strong written and oral communication skills including the ability to coordinate and consult with other departments and colleagues in a professional manner.
● Good organizational skills including maintenance of documents in the filing system.
● Good time management skills including the ability to work within deadlines and prioritize competing tasks
● Knowledge of pertinent federal and state regulations, including Federal Accounting Standards, Georgia Accounting Standards, and Payroll Tax Laws
● Adheres to the highest ethical standards and practices at all times.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Must be able to communicate effectively (orally and written), possess excellent presentation skills and ability to lead discussions and meetings.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Advanced knowledge of math skills and accounting required. Ability to formulate and evaluate financial reports.
REASONING ABILITY: Must be able to analyze data, determine trends and apply the results. Ability to anticipate reactions from the public, elected officials, business community, and governmental agencies in order to manage various situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
● A valid driver’s license and maintain a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Report
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the Job Title’s job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential function of this job.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to talk and hear. This is largely a sedentary role, however, some filing is required which will require bending, twisting, lifting, and pulling. The employee should be able to lift a minimum of 25lbs when necessary.
● Sitting at a desk during working hours or at meetings
● Reaching for objects.
● Kneeling, bending, or crouching to file or to retrieve objects from lower shelves or the ground.
● Bending, squatting, kneeling, pushing, and pulling when filing or moving files.
● Pushing and pulling file drawers or tables and chairs.
● Climbing stairs
● Twisting from computer to phone
● Hand and foot dexterity are required in order to operate office equipment including computer, phone, fax machine, copier and other small office equipment.
● Hearing and speech is necessary to communicate with customers and co-workers in person, by telephone
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is usually exposed to a noise level that is low to moderate. This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are normally Monday through Friday, 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
STANDARDS FOR MEASURING PERFORMANCE
● Successful development and implementation of objectives; continuous growth in service provided.
● Ability to work alone or with a team.
● Appropriate and positive interaction with staff, management, volunteers, community groups, professional associates, and private citizens.
● Accomplishment of job functions in an effective and timely manner.
● Proficiency in oral and written communication.
● Effectiveness in establishing priorities, working on multiple assignments and concurrent projects.
● Exercise of sound judgment in the absence of specific guidelines.
● Demonstrated ability to thoroughly analyze problems; to meet demanding and changing deadlines in spite of interruptions.
● Adherence to established policies and procedures.
Click here to apply for this position.