Administrative Assistant duties and responsibilities include providing administrative support to ensure the efficient operation of the Codes, Permitting, Planning, Zoning, Storm Water, and Building Inspection Department. The Administrative Assistant will be responsible for confidential and time-sensitive material, along with taking applications and complaints/inquiries from the public, answering general questions, processing payments and making deposits.
Ability to effectively communicate via phone and email ensuring that all Administrative Assistant duties are completed accurately and delivered with high quality and in a timely manner.
- Handle sensitive information in a confidential manner
- Manage multiple projects/tasks
- Maintain a filing system
- Perform research and retrieve information from databases and other resources
- Organize calendar, schedule appointments as requested
- Assist in the preparation of reports and applications for business license, beverage license, building permits, subdivision plats and any other related issues that might arise
- Assist colleagues with administrative tasks
- Write letters and emails on behalf of Walker County
- Assist with a variety of administrative tasks including, but not limited to, copying, scanning, taking meeting notes
- Answer phones in a professional manner and forward calls as appropriate
- Provide available information regarding county government topics related to zoning, building, and inspections when requested
- Assist with internal mailboxes, postage machine as needed; prepare certified mail or Express shipments
- Provide excellent customer service
- Greet all visitors and employees with a positive and helpful attitude
- Other duties as assigned. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Prefer 1-2 Years experience in administrative position role
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Experience in a similar office setting preferred
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrate leadership
- Maintain Credibility and Trust
- Collaborate and build relationships to drive positive results
- Professional dress and mannerism at all times
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Exceptional organizational skills and impeccable attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to communicate professionally and courteously with the general public
- Able to maintain a high level of integrity and discretion in handling confidential information
- Ability to contribute positively as part of a team, helping with various tasks as required
- Proficiency in keyboarding
- Experience with administrative and clerical procedures
- Competency with Google Suites
- Experience with administrative procedures
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Must be able to communicate effectively in english (orally and written), possess excellent presentation skills, and ability to lead discussions and meetings.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Basic knowledge of math skills.
REASONING ABILITY: Must be able to analyze data, determine trends and apply the results. Ability to anticipate reactions from the public, elected officials, business community, and governmental agencies in order to manage various situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the Administrative Assistant. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, climb, bend, crouch, and twist to perform such tasks as (EXAMPLES LISTED)
- Lifting supplies, equipment, and files
- Sitting at a desk or in meetings
- Reaching for objects
- Kneeling, bending, or crouching to file or to retrieve objects from lower shelves or the ground
- Pushing and pulling file drawers or tables and chairs
- Climbing stairs
- Standing and sitting regularly at the customer services window
- Twisting from computer to phone
- Hand and foot dexterity is required to operate office equipment and paperwork
- Able to communicate with customers and co-workers in person and by telephone
- This position must be able to lift 25 pounds occasionally
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is usually exposed to a noise level that is low to moderate. 95% of the work is performed in a controlled office environment with regulated heating and air conditioning.
Physical hazards may include those associated with working in a public environment.
STANDARDS FOR MEASURING PERFORMANCE
- Maintain Confidentiality, Credibility and Trust
- Successful development and implementation of objectives; continuous growth in service provided
- Ability to work alone or with a team
- Appropriate and positive interaction with staff, management, volunteers, community groups, professional associates and private citizens
- The accomplishment of job functions in an effective and timely manner
- Proficiency in oral and written communication
- Effectiveness in establishing priorities, working on multiple assignments and concurrent projects
- Exercise of sound judgment in the absence of specific guidelines
- Demonstrated ability to thoroughly analyze problems; to meet demanding and changing deadlines in spite of interruptions
- Compliance with established policies and procedures.
- Ability to work alone or with a team