This employee plays a critical role in managing and executing various forms of internal communications within Walker County Government. This communicator assists in creating and delivering content within the organization, including program rollouts, department announcements, employee recognition, recruitment, social media, events, training and other needs. In addition, this role supports the Public Relations Director with special projects, public meetings, and content creation for external sources.
- Conceptualize, write and edit a variety of internal communications materials, such as copy for emails, an employee newsletter, feature stories, social media, and training presentations
- Coordinate projects and activities with other departments or outside agencies as needed: encourages contribution of information and participation from other departments; monitors and assists with development of interdepartmental communications
- Coordinate special events and activities: create and implement communications plan for events; design, produce and publish publicity materials and articles; and assist with event activities such as setup and break-down as needed
- Ensure workers are engaged in Walker County Government initiatives
- Attends meetings, serves on committees, and makes presentations as needed; attends various community activities and events on behalf of Walker County Government
- Assists in the coordination of media relations in emergency response situations: assists the Public Relations Director in responding to media on all crises requiring a public information response
- Researches and compiles various statistical or administrative data: researches and compiles information for production of publications; analyzes data and identifies trends; summarizes data and prepares reports and presentations; conducts research of Internet sites, electronic data sources, hardcopy materials, or other sources as needed
- Responds to inquiries or comments from the public, answers general questions, resolves problems/complaints, or refers questions to appropriate individual/department
- All other duties as assigned. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCES
Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Journalism, Public Relations, Business, Human Resources or related fields preferred; supplemented by one or more years of experience in government services; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Operates a personal computer, general office equipment, audio/visual equipment, digital camera, or other equipment as necessary to complete essential functions, to include the use of word processing, spreadsheet, database, desktop publishing, presentation, graphics/design, photo management, graphic design, e-mail, Internet, or other computer programs
- Knowledge of graphic design elements, printing processes, and layout/production techniques
- Storytelling of complex issues to make them easy to understand
- A goal-oriented thinker who has the ability to set clear priorities among multiple tasks and stay focused on projects benchmarks and deadlines.
- LANGUAGE SKILLS: Must be able to communicate effectively (orally and written), possess excellent presentation skills and ability to lead discussions and meetings.
- MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Basic knowledge of math skills.
- REASONING ABILITY: Must be able to analyze data, determine trends and apply the results. Ability to anticipate reactions from the public, elected officials, business community, and governmental agencies in order to manage various situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Must have a valid driver’s license and proof of auto insurance.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, this employee is required to regularly stand for extended periods, to frequently walk, stoop, kneel, crouch and lift or move up to 35 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, this employee may be exposed to a noise level that is moderate to loud. Some outdoor/outside work will be required, although much of the job will involve working with the aid of air conditioning. This position may include some occasional night and weekend work.
STANDARDS FOR MEASURING PERFORMANCE
- Successful development and implementation of objectives; continuous growth in service provided.
- Appropriate and positive interaction with staff, management, volunteers, the public, community groups and professional associates.
- Accomplishment of job functions in an effective and timely manner.
- Proficiency in oral and written communication.
- Effectiveness in establishing priorities, working on multiple assignments and concurrent projects.
- Exercise of sound judgment in the absence of specific guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to thoroughly analyze problems to meet demanding and changing deadlines in spite of interruptions.
- Adherence to established policies and procedures.
- Ability to work alone or with a team
Click here to apply for this position.