The Grounds Maintenance Staff member helps manage the lawn care and landscaping around county buildings and property, as well as minor building repairs and improvements.
- Perform groundskeeping and building maintenance duties
- Maintain the cosmetic appearance of the outside of county properties
- Ground maintenance using hand tools, power tools, and riding mower equipment
- Planting flowers, grass, shrubs, bushes, trees and other landscaping
- Pruning of shrubs, bushes and trees
- Keep weeds killed or pulled from shrub and flower beds
- Apply pesticide to rid ground of pests such as ants, mosquitos, wasps, ticks and other insects
- Apply fertilizer to the ground to enhance plant and grass growth
- Sprinkle salt and shovel snow from walkways and parking lots to keep people from falling during icy and snowy weather
- Perform routine facility maintenance duties
- Perform minor repairs and maintenance procedures on equipment utilized in groundskeeping
- Rake, mulch and prune the grounds as needed
- Water plants and grounds as needed
- Litter Control Detail as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or GED
- Must be at least 18 years of age
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong working knowledge of county codes and ordinances
- Ability to communicate professionally and courteously with the public
- General safety rules and regulations pertaining to duties
- Use of computers, copiers, telephones, faxes and other general office equipment
- Ability to learn how to use IworQ effectively
- Procedures and policies pertaining to job duties
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- A valid driver’s license and maintain a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Report (MVR)
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the Grounds Maintenance Staff members job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, climb, bend, crouch and twist to perform such tasks as:
- Observing the work site and work duties of others
- Walking around the work site
- Lifting supplies and equipment
- Sitting at a desk, in meetings or driving
- Reaching for objects
- Climbing onto equipment
- Operating equipment
- Twisting to get inside a vehicle
Hand and foot dexterity is required to operate equipment and complete paperwork.
Hearing and speech are necessary to communicate with customers and co-workers in person, by telephone and radio.
Good vision is required for all functions.
This position must be able to lift 25 pounds occasionally.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is usually exposed to a noise level that is moderate to loud. About 95% of the work is performed outdoors daily and in seasonally extreme temperatures, both hot and cold, as well as rain and other environmental elements, driving from one location to another in traffic and weather conditions normal to this region.
An estimated 5% of the time is spent in an office with a controlled environment.
Physical hazards include dangerous equipment, noise and vibration, exposure to fumes, gases, chemicals, dust and dirt. The employee will be expected to wear proper protective equipment such as, but not limited to, protective eyewear, gloves, protective footwear, hard hat and reflective safety vest.
STANDARDS FOR MEASURING PERFORMANCE
- Successful development and implementation of objectives; continuous growth in service provided
- Ability to work alone or with a team
- Appropriate and positive interaction with staff, management, volunteers, community groups, professional associates and private citizens
- The accomplishment of job functions in an effective and timely manner
- Proficiency in oral and written communication
- Effectiveness in establishing priorities, working on multiple assignments and concurrent projects
- The exercise of sound judgment in the absence of specific guidelines
- Demonstrated ability to thoroughly analyze problems; to meet demanding and changing deadlines in spite of interruptions
- Adherence to established policies and procedures