The Public Works Foreman is under the direction of the Chairman/CEO and is responsible for communicating with the Chairman/CEO in order to facilitate daily operations. The Foreman is responsible for assigning road crews to each job and ensuring that each work order/task is completed and the job is completed accurately before the work order is closed or marked completed. The Foreman will ensure that crews are staying on task and completing jobs in a timely manner. The Foreman is responsible for communicating with the Road Superintendent on items related to construction, paving, budgeting, purchase orders, supplies, and equipment needs.
The Foreman must be very perceptive of their surroundings and have the ability to identify and prioritize each work order an or project. The Public Works Foreman will be able to prioritize each work order and make adjustments during the day when higher priority work arises to keep the right-a-ways as safe as possible.
The Foreman’s purchasing authority will be up to $1,500.00 on any project.
- Manage the day to day operations of the road crew employees
- Communicate with the Public on work order request and right-a-way issues as needed
- Communicate with the Road Superintendent and Office Staff on work orders and projects
- Management of all county right-a-ways
- Management of Sign Shop and all signs on the right-a-ways
- Management of all county owned red lights and caution lights
- Measure culverts that need to be sized for new installation or replacement, and communicate information to Road Superintendent for construction installation
- Review and manage trees that need to be cut back off the right-a-way
- Review roads for drainage problems and assign crews to clip shoulders where needed
- Organize, assign and prioritize work orders to road crews in an efficient manner
- Daily management of the right-a-way Crew Leaders
- Management of roadside mowing
- Prepare and assist Road Superintendent in inclement weather events.
- Be able to assist the team as needed on projects
- Assure each project is completed to the highest standard.
- Ensure each employee is operating equipment appropriately and safely
- Handle sensitive information in a confidential manner
- Manage multiple projects/tasks each day
- Greet all visitors and employees with a positive and helpful attitude
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including manager on duty role and on-call response for weather conditions and emergency road situations
- Other duties as assigned. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Preferably a high school diploma or GED
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Preferably at least 2 years of supervisory experience
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrate leadership
- Maintain credibility and trust
- Collaborate and build relationships to drive positive results
- Professional dress and mannerism at all times
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to communicate professionally and courteously with the general public, and county employees
- Able to maintain a high level of integrity and discretion in handling confidential information
- Ability to contribute positively as part of a team, helping with various tasks and projects as required
- Advanced mechanical skills and knowledge of operating equipment. Proficiency with repair tools and repair techniques
- Great time management, organization and prioritization abilities
- Keen attention to detail and efficient problem-solving skills
- Ability to lift heavy items and comfortable standing or walking for long periods of time
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Must be able to communicate English effectively (orally and written)
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Basic knowledge of math skills.
REASONING ABILITY: Must be able to analyze data, determine trends and apply the results. Ability to anticipate reactions from the public, elected officials, business community, and governmental agencies in order to manage various situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the Public Works Foreman. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, climb, bend, crouch, and twist to perform such task as:
- Observing the worksite and work duties of others
- Walking around the work site
- Lifting supplies, equipment, and clearing brush, trees or other materials
- Sitting at a desk or in meetings
- Reaching for objects
- Kneeling, bending, or crouching to file or to retrieve objects from lower shelves or the ground
- Climbing stairs
- Twisting from computer to phone
- Hearing and speech is necessary to communicate with customers and co-workers in person and by telephone
- Good vision is required for all functions
- This position must be able to lift 45 pounds
- Ability to walk uneven terrain
- Ability to ride in a vehicle or sit in equipment for extended periods of time.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is usually exposed to a noise level that is moderate to high on most job sites . Only 5-10% of the work is performed in a controlled office environment with regulated heating and air conditioning.
Physical hazards may include those associated with working in a public environment. The Public Works Foreman is also expected to work in weather that could include extreme heat, cold, high winds, rain, and snow for extended periods of time.
STANDARDS FOR MEASURING PERFORMANCE
- Maintain Confidentiality, Credibility and Trust
- Successful development and implementation of objectives; continuous growth in service provided
- Ability to work alone or with a team
- Appropriate and positive interaction with staff, management, volunteers, community groups, professional associates and private citizens
- The accomplishment of job functions in an effective and timely manner
- Proficiency in oral and written communication
- Effectiveness in establishing priorities, working on multiple assignments and concurrent projects
- Exercise of sound judgment in the absence of specific guidelines
- Demonstrated ability to thoroughly analyze problems; to meet demanding and changing deadlines in spite of interruptions
- Compliance with established policies and procedures.
- Ability to work alone or with a team