The Scale House Operator position begins at $13.50 an hour, depending on experience & qualifications.
The Scale House Operator I provides good customer service to landfill customers by performing the day to day duties of the Scale House.
- Operate both inbound and outbound scales
- Compute tare weights
- Answer customer questions and provide information on procedures and policies
- Compute and record totals of transactions
- Count money in cash drawers at the beginning of shifts to ensure that amounts are correct and that there is adequate change
- Greet customers entering the landfill
- Issue receipts or change due to customers
- Maintain clean and orderly checkout areas
- Receive payment by cash, check, credit cards, vouchers or automatic debits
- Calculate total payments received during a time period, and reconcile this with total sales
- Compile and maintains non-monetary reports and records
- Other duties as assigned
- Good customer service skills
- Ability to communicate orally
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to problem solve and evaluate risks
- Must be reliable, responsible and dependable
- Must be flexible and open to change in a fast-paced work setting
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCES
A high school diploma or GED. One year experience as a cashier is desired.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to count money and receipts accurately
- Understanding of computer software and heavy scales
- Ability to read and write and perform basic mathematical functions
- Ability to operate copiers, printers, scanners, and adding machines
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the Scale Operator I’s job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential function of this job.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use hands and fingers to manipulate keys on a keyboard. The employee is often required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel or crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include far and close vision. Able to lift 25 pounds occasionally.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is usually exposed to a noise level that is moderate to loud. While many functions are performed indoors, the operator is exposed to weather at an open window and may be required to perform some duties out of doors.
STANDARDS FOR MEASURING PERFORMANCE
- Successful development and implementation of objectives; continuous growth in service provided
- Appropriate and positive interaction with staff, management, and customers
- Accomplishment of job functions in effective and timely manner
- Exercise of sound judgment in the absence of specific guidelines
- Demonstrated ability to recognize problems and report appropriately
- Ability to meet demanding and changing deadlines in spite of interruptions
- Adherence to established policies and procedures
To apply for this position, click here to access the application packet. Fill it out and send the application packet, a resume and cover letter to:
Walker County Government
c/o Tabitha Cantrell, Human Resources Department
P.O. Box 445
LaFayette, GA 30728
You may also e-mail your resume, cover letter and application packet forms to Tabitha Cantrell.