This position is responsible for directing the daily operations of the Transit Department to ensure an efficient transportation service for the citizens of Walker County.
- Supervise all Transit department functions
- Develop and manage a plan to expand Transit services from 6 days a week to 7 days a week to help meet the needs of industry workforce in Walker County
- Select, direct, train, counsel, evaluate and discipline subordinate employees, in conjunction with the Human Resources department
- Select, train and manage Transit Shift Managers, Dispatchers and Drivers
- Serve as the Drug and Alcohol Program Administrator for Transit. Maintain the confidential files for the Transit Drug and Alcohol Program
- Plan Transit route schedules and changes; recommend expansion or revision of service; recommend fare structure
- Formulate and enforce Transit departmental training policies and procedures, and conduct routine inspections to ensure compliance
- Inspect office facilities, vans, and equipment for malfunctions; assist in the establishment and administration of preventive maintenance schedules; assure adequacy of working equipment and efficiency of operation
- Oversee the balancing of all receipts and expenditures, submitting deposit receipts and expenses to the accounting office
- Responsible for managing employee schedules, timesheets, and bi-weekly payroll input to HR
- Train employees on Government Workplace Safety & Risk Management policy
- Responsible for the department’s Employee Safety Program. Maintain all training records
- Responsible for all Transit grant management and reporting
- Responsible for all State & Federal Transit reporting and auditing
- Responsible for payables and other monetary reports to the Accounting Department twice a week
- Prepare and operate within the annual county Transit budget
- Coordinate with the Public Relations Director on updates to the Transit page on the county’s website, as well as schedule adjustments due to inclement weather
- Operate a Transit van when needed
- Other duties as assigned. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time without notice.
- Excellent project management and logistical skills
- Possess excellent organizational skills
- Strong command over written and verbal communication
- Good interpersonal and presentation skills
- Knowledge of federal and state rules and regulations regarding Transit operations, personnel policies and traffic laws
- Skill in supervising, planning, and scheduling
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work assignments appropriately
- Ability to understand and to follow both oral and written instructions
- Thorough knowledge of the service area
- Knowledge of all safety procedures and requirements
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- High School diploma or GED
- College degree preferred
- Experience in a similar office setting preferred
- Fluency in English required; knowledge of Spanish is desirable
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to complete routine reports in a timely and accurate manner
- Good money handling and superior reporting skills
- Work effectively with co-workers and the public
- Ability to work a fluctuating schedule that changes to meet customers’ needs and schedules
- Professional dress and mannerism at all times
- Competency with Microsoft applications including Microsoft Office, and Google Suites
- Experience with administrative and clerical procedures
- Ability to multitask
- Proficiency in keyboarding
- Demonstrate leadership
- Maintain credibility and trust
- Collaborate and build relationships to drive positive results
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Exceptional organizational skills and impeccable attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills
- Able to maintain a high level of integrity and discretion in handling confidential information
- Ability to contribute positively as part of a team, helping with various tasks as required
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Must be able to communicate effectively (orally and written), possess excellent presentation skills, and ability to lead discussions and meetings.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Basic knowledge of math skills.
REASONING ABILITY: Must be able to analyze data, determine trends and apply the results. Ability to anticipate reactions from the public, elected officials, business community, and governmental agencies in order to manage various situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Must have a valid driver’s license and proof of auto insurance
- Ability to pass and obtain CPR Certification
- Semi-Annual reporting of MVR, as verified through Georgia Motor Vehicle Department, meeting Transit Program standards
- Annual physical and ability to pass and obtain a DOT Health Card
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the Transit Director. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential function of this job.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, climb, bend, crouch and twist to perform such tasks as:
- Sitting at a desk
- Walking through the work site
- Working at a computer station
- Hand and foot dexterity is required for walking and for operating office equipment, and desk work
- Hearing and speech are necessary to communicate with customers and co-workers in person, by telephone, by video conferencing and by radio.
- Good vision is required for all functions.
- This position must be able to lift 40 pounds occasionally.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is usually exposed to a noise level that is low to moderate. Work is performed in an office daily while sitting at a desk, with intermittent walking and standing.
STANDARDS FOR MEASURING PERFORMANCE
- Successful development and implementation of objectives; continuous growth in service provided
- Effective leadership
- Appropriate and positive interaction with staff, management, volunteers, community groups, professional associates, and the public
- The accomplishment of job functions in an effective and timely manner
- Proficiency in oral and written communication
- Effectiveness in establishing priorities, working on multiple assignments, and concurrent projects
- Exercise sound judgment in the absence of specific guidelines
- Demonstrated ability to thoroughly analyze problems; to meet demanding and changing deadlines in spite of interruptions
- Adherence to established policies and procedures