The boundaries of Walker County were originally set in 1833, carved from neighboring Murray County and land once belonging to the Cherokee tribe. During its early years, the Georgia legislature changed Walker County’s boundaries four times. In 1837, Dade County was ceded from Walker’s extreme northwestern corner. In 1838, part of Walker and Floyd Counties became Chattooga County. In 1851, part of Walker and Murray Counties were combined to form Whitfield County. And, in 1857, Catoosa County was taken from portions of Walker and Murray Counties.
The original center of Walker County government was shared by two communities, Benton and Chattooga. By 1835, these settlements had nearly grown together. So, in 1836 the town was renamed, LaFayette, in honor of the Marquis de LaFayette who assisted George Washington during the Revolutionary War.
Several major battles have occurred in Walker County over the years, including the Battle of Chickamauga, the second bloodiest battle during the Civil War.