Walker Transit is public transportation designed to take you on errands and to appointments, such as a visit to the doctor or grocery shopping.
Hours of Operation: We operate Monday through Friday between 6:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Reservations: Reservations can be made by calling (706) 375-0803. Reservations must be made at least one day prior to your desired trip and before 12:00 p.m. the day before. Please have the exact street address of your destination available to give to the dispatcher. When scheduling a return trip, simply call the Transit Office when you are ready to be picked up and a vehicle will be dispatched to you.
Call Back List: If you are on the call back list, you must be ready and call the office by 3:00 p.m. for your return ride.
Fares: Passengers will only be permitted to board the bus by paying a $4.00 fare per trip before taking their seat. Passengers who have scheduled a return trip will only be permitted to board the bus by paying the $4.00 fare. Please have the exact amount ready at boarding.
Wheelchair Use: Per the DOT’s ADA Regulations, all riders must have their common wheelchairs secured while aboard Walker Transit vehicles. Service will be declined to a rider who refuses to allow his or her wheelchair to be secured.
Walker Transit is public transportation and not a private taxi service. We have established certain policies in order to provide safe and timely transport.
In order to operate efficiently, there will be other passengers on board and we may not always be able to transport you immediately to your destination. If you would like a copy of our complete policies & procedures, please contact our office.
- Clients must reside in Walker County.
- Clients must provide a working phone number or emergency contact.
- Office hours are 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Riders are required to pay the fare upon boarding the vehicle unless other arrangements have been made with management.
- Riders are required to use a seat belt while on the transit vehicle.
- Riders should be ready 20 minutes ahead of scheduled pick-up time.
- Shoppers are limited to packages that they are able to carry.
- Drivers are not under any circumstances to enter a client’s home.
- If a passenger is not ready upon bus arrival, driver will only wait 5 minutes before reporting the client as a no-show and continuing on to the next appointment.
- The fee for a no-show is $5.00. If a client receives 2 no-shows consecutively, the client must bring or mail the $10.00 no-show fee to the office. No appointments will be made until this fee is paid.
- Walker Transit is a curb-to-curb service. Drivers are not required to assist passengers beyond this point. Clients must be able to get to and from the bus.
- Clients may be banned from the bus for the following without any notification:
- Swearing, cursing or inappropriate language.
- Bringing weapons on board.
- Threatening a driver or other passenger.
- Exposing a driver or passenger to bodily fluids.
- Intoxication from drugs and/or alcohol.
- Refusal to adhere to policies.
- Scooters are strongly discouraged. These devices are not designed to be secured to public transportation vehicles. Whenever possible, for your safety, we recommend riding in a common wheelchair. All drivers have the right to refuse transport if they feel the device is unsafe for transit.
Complaints? Here’s our non-discrimination and complaint procedure