Rock Spring, GA – Five public shelters will be opening at 4:00 p.m. today in Walker County for those in need of a safe location to stay as Hurricane Irma passes through the area.
Walker County CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) will handle staffing at the following shelters:
· Walker County Civic Center, located at 10052 N Highway 27 in Rock Spring (this shelter will be equipped to handle crated animals with proof of current rabies vaccination)
· Fire Station 14, located at 11471 East Highway 136 in Villanow
· Cedar Grove Community Center, located at 5423 W Cove Road, Chickamauga
Good Samaritan shelters will also be established at the following locations:
· Elks Lodge, located at 3158 N Highway 27 in LaFayette
· Old Doctor’s Office at the end of Highway 2, located at 2367 Chattanooga Valley Road in Flintstone
Those in need of help getting to a shelter should call 706-375-7810 for assistance. This number should also be used to report non-life threatening events, such as downed trees and blocked roads.
In addition, all county buildings will close at 3:00 p.m. today, and will not reopen until 10:00 a.m. Tuesday.
Walker County Emergency Services will also open an Emergency Operations Center at the 911 Center in Rock Spring at 6:00 p.m. for county and city services to coordinate operations during this potential weather event.
UPDATE at 11:00 p.m.: We are condensing our CERT operated shelters. The Walker County Civic Center will remain open overnight for those in need of a safe location to stay as Hurricane Irma passes through the area.