How Walker Works – Building Permits

The Walker County Planning Office serves as the county’s permitting office, issuing permits for building construction, electrical service repair and installation, mobile homes, modular homes, accessory buildings and land disturbance activity.

“Any structural change or any addition, you have to get a permit,” said planning staff member, Kristy Parker.

Any structure that is 10×10 or larger requires a permit, including pre-built storage sheds. New construction will also undergo four mandatory inspections to insure life safety and design standards.  “A footing foundation, a rough-in inspection, a final electrical and a final walk-through,” added Parker.

Projects like painting, remodeling a bathroom or adding a pool or fence to your property to not require a permit. For additional information about the permitting process, contact our staff at (706) 638-4048.