LaFayette, GA – Blake Hodge, Walker County Fire Chief and Emergency Management Director, received his first dose of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine today, along with 46 other medical first responders in Walker County.
Due to limited supply, COVID-19 vaccinations are currently only available locally to healthcare workers and medical first responders in the Phase 1a category. The Georgia Department of Public Health Northwest Health District anticipates Phase 1a vaccination criteria will be expanded next week to include adults 65 and older, law enforcement officers and other first responders, contingent on adequate vaccine supply.
The vaccine is being administered locally by the Walker County Health Department. When there is adequate vaccine supply available to immunize individuals in the expanded Phase 1a groups, information on how to obtain the vaccine will be shared publicly.
We are currently in Phase 1: Limited COVID-19 Vaccine Availability
Phase 1-A will include paid and unpaid persons serving in a healthcare setting who have the potential for direct or indirect exposure to patients or infectious materials. Hospital staff, public health clinical staff, EMS, and other first responders, long term care facility (LTCF) staff, and urgent care facility staff are examples of people who will be included in this phase.
Additional examples include:
- Staff in clinical settings (e.g., physicians, nurses, pharmacists, EMS, laboratory staff, environmental services, LTCF staff etc.)
- LTCF Residents
Phase 1-B will include other essential workers and people at higher risk of severe COVID-19 illness.
Examples of people that will be included in this Phase are listed below:
- Police and fire personnel not covered under Phase 1-A
- Critical workforce employees (e.g., pharmacy staff, educational faculty and staff, correctional facility staff, court employees, food processors, grocery store workers, transportation staff, nuclear power plant employees, air traffic controllers, etc.)
- All adults 75 and older and those 65 and older with significant comorbidities and their caregivers
Phase 1-C will include people at higher risk of severe COVID-19 illness, not vaccinated during Phase 1-A or Phase 1-B.
Examples of this population include:
- Other essential workers
- Adults below age 65 with significant comorbidities