The Codes and Planning Administrative Assistant is responsible for issuing beverage and business licenses and electrical and mobile home permits to applicants. Obtains appropriate information and verifies it for accuracy. Determines if applicant is qualified to be licensed. Reviews subdivision plats. Assembles Planning Commission packets for variances and rezones. Maintains cash drawer and money deposits.
- Greeting citizens, employees, and other visitors with a positive, helpful attitude
- Assisting all visitors in finding their way around the office
- Announcing visitors to the appropriate staff member as necessary
- Assisting with a variety of administrative tasks including, but not limited to, copying, faxing, taking notes
- Preparing Planning Commission packets
- Answering, forwarding, screening calls in a professional manner, and routing them as necessary
- Providing appropriate information regarding licensing policies and procedures when asked
- Issuing beverage and business licenses
- Collections and reconciliation of Hotel / Motel Taxes
- Entering Inspections and code complaints into the system
- Preparing monthly reports
- Preparing cash drawer deposit
- Assisting colleagues with administrative tasks
- Performing ad-hoc administrative tasks
- Providing excellent customer service.
- Assist with errands to the bank and post office. Pickups and deliveries to and from other county facilities as needed.
- Other duties as assigned. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or GED
- Must be at least 18 years of age
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Consistent professional dress and manner
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Good time management skills
- Strong working knowledge of county codes and ordinances
- Ability to communicate professionally and courteously with the general public
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times
- Able to contribute positively as part of a team, helping with various tasks as required
- General safety rules and regulations pertaining to duties
- Use of computers, copiers, telephones, faxes, and other general office equipment
- Competency with Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, Outlook, and Google Suites
- Experience with administrative and clerical procedures
- Procedures and policies pertaining to duties
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the Codes and Planning Administrative Assistant‘s job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, climb, bend, crouch and twist to perform such tasks as: (EXAMPLES LISTED)
- Observing the worksite and work duties of others
- Walking around the worksite
- Lifting supplies, equipment, and files
- Sitting at a desk, or in meetings
- Reaching for objects
- Kneeling, bending, or crouching to file or to retrieve objects from lower shelves or the ground
- Pushing and pulling file drawers or tables and chairs
- Climbing stairs
- Twisting from computer to phone
Hand and foot dexterity is required to operate office equipment and paperwork.
Hearing and speech are necessary to communicate with customers and co-workers in person and by telephone.
Good vision is required for all functions.
This position must be able to lift 25 pounds occasionally.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is usually exposed to a noise level that is low to moderate. 100% of the work is performed in a controlled office environment with regulated heating and air conditioning.
Physical hazards may include those associated with working in a public environment.
STANDARDS FOR MEASURING PERFORMANCE
- Successful development and implementation of objectives; continuous growth in service provided
- Ability to work alone or with a team
- Appropriate and positive interaction with staff, management, volunteers, community groups, professional associates, and private citizens
- The accomplishment of job functions in an effective and timely manner
- Proficiency in oral and written communication
- Effectiveness in establishing priorities, working on multiple assignments and concurrent projects
- Exercise of sound judgment in the absence of specific guidelines
- Demonstrated ability to thoroughly analyze problems; to meet demanding and changing deadlines in spite of interruptions
- Adherence to established policies and procedures
To apply for this position, click here to access the application packet. Fill it out and send the application packet, a resume and cover letter to:
Walker County Government
Sharleen Robinson, Human Resources Director
P.O. Box 445
LaFayette, GA 30728
You may also e-mail your resume, cover letter and application packet forms to email@example.com