This position operates a gas or diesel 14 passenger transit van on routes for the transit department, providing excellent customer service to the passengers served by the department. A thorough knowledge and compliance with all federal, state, city, and county safety regulations and policies is mandatory. This position will also perform a number of skilled and unskilled tasks in the custodial care and maintenance of the buses, equipment, building and grounds of the transit department.
- Completes daily pre-trip vehicle inspection report before starting daily run which includes van walk around which includes but not limited to:
- Any visual defects
- Checks operating systems – brakes ,horn, windshield wipers, lights, turn signals, emergency flashers, door-opening devices
- Two-way radio check with dispatcher
- Runs as assigned the daily dispatch schedule
- At start of shift, obtains route assignment and driver run card;
- Reports to starting point of assigned route before schedule departure time.
- Completes daily post trip vehicle inspection report
- Efficiently and effectively assists with the loading and transporting passengers to and from appropriate destinations according to County and departmental guidelines.
- Assists elderly and disabled passengers when necessary.
- Picks up and discharges at bus stops or stations as required by departmental service route and safety rules.
- Announces stops as required by Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Maintains contact with supervisors and other drives through two-way radio.
- Reports emergency and unsafe conditions or behavior concerns immediately to dispatcher and supervisor. Completes accident / incident reports for any and all accidents an or incident.
- Assures that all passenger fares are collected correctly; checks passenger I.D. cards to assess proper fare. Prepares transfers for persons to go on other routes. Provides customer information and answers questions regarding routes, schedules and services.
- Maintains accurate count of all passengers. Completes all required paperwork and reports.
- Balances cash receipts and ticket books accurately twice weekly.
- Other duties as assigned. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Ability to remain calm and exhibit a high level of customer service by being courtesy, helpful and diplomatic in the transportation of all passengers.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work assignments appropriately.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a teamwork environment.
- Good oral communication.
- Good recordkeeping abilities.
- Ability to understand and to follow both oral and written instructions.
- Thorough knowledge of the service area.
- Good defensive driving techniques.
- Working knowledge of transit passenger buses and how they operate.
- Knowledge of all safety procedures and requirements.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Fluency in English required; knowledge of Spanish desirable.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Past job experience working with public in a service-oriented or healthcare environment very desirable.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to complete routine reports in a timely and accurate manner.
- Professional money handling and basic reporting skills.
- Work effectively with co-workers and the public.
- Ability to work a fluctuating schedule that changes to meet customers’ needs and schedules.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- A valid driver’s license and proof of insurance
- CPR Certification desired, but not required
- Annual: Passing score from a Defensive Driving Class
- Semi-Annual reporting of MVR as verified through Georgia Motor Vehicle Department, meeting Transit Program standards
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the Transit Driver’s job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential function of this job.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, climb, bend, crouch and twist to perform such tasks as:
- Assisting passengers on and off the bus;
- Driving the assigned routes;
- Securing, pushing, and pulling wheelchairs.
Hand and foot dexterity is required to operate bus controls, office equipment, and paperwork.
Hearing and speech is necessary to communicate with passengers and co-workers in person, by telephone and radio.
Good vision is required for all functions.
Annual Driver physical and annual health card.
This position must be able to lift 50 pounds occasionally and 25 pounds often.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is usually exposed to a noise level that is moderate to loud. Work is performed out of doors daily and in seasonally extreme temperatures, both hot and cold, as well as rain and other environmental elements. Physical hazards include exposures to the natural elements, contagious diseases, and traffic that can be heavy and congested.
STANDARDS FOR MEASURING PERFORMANCE
- Successful development and implementation of objectives; continuous growth in service provided.
- Appropriate and positive interaction with staff, management, volunteers, community groups and professional associates.
- Accomplishment of job functions in effective and timely manner.
- Proficiency in oral and written communication.
- Effectiveness in establishing priorities, working on multiple assignments and concurrent projects.
- Exercise of sound judgment in the absence of specific guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to thoroughly analyze problems; to meet demanding and changing deadlines in spite of interruptions.
- Adherence to established policies and procedures.
To apply for this position, click here to access the application packet. A resume and cover letter can be uploaded to the online application packet.