The Animal Shelter Customer Service Specialist position provides general support to the Walker County Animal Shelter at the direction of the Animal Shelter Director and Assistant Manager. The Shelter Customer Service Specialist will work a rotating schedule with some weekend work required.
- Excellent Customer Service
- Manage adoption applications process, and match adoptable animals to their new homes
- Conflict resolution
- Case Management and Dispatch of active Animal Control complaints
- Case Management of Animal Surrender Waiting List
- Case Management of animals on Stray Hold, and owner reclaim process
- Case Management of all Classified Animals
- Provides front desk support by answering phone calls, and, greeting visitors
- Manage appointments for citizens to visit the shelter
- Collects payments and records them appropriately
- Help maintain cleanliness throughout the Office
- Filing and maintaining office records
- All other duties as assigned. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Organizational skills
- Able to manage time effectively
- Ability to type 35-40 WPM
- Customer service skills
- Conflict resolution skills
- Case Management skills
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCES
- High School diploma or GED
- At least 1 year of experience in customer service
- Valid driver’s license with proof of insurance
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to organize and maintain multiple projects
- Able to maintain good teamwork and collaboration
- Excellent customer service skills
- Able to lift at least 25 lbs
- Able to clean and maintain a clean work environment
- Able to drive to various locations
- Able to follow directions
- Able to communicate professionally and courteously with the general public
- Able to learn municipal and state laws relating to animals
- Proficiency in Keyboarding
- Competency with Web applications including Microsoft Office, and Google WorkSpace
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times
- Ability to contribute positively as part of a team, helping with various tasks as required
- Able to use a computer, telephone, fax, and other general office equipment
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Must be able to communicate effectively (orally and written), possess excellent presentation skills and ability to lead discussions and meetings.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Basic knowledge of math skills.
REASONING ABILITY: Must be able to analyze data, determine trends and apply the results. Ability to anticipate reactions from the public, elected officials, business community, and governmental agencies in order to manage various situations.
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the Walker County Animal Shelter Customer Service Specialist. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential function of this position.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to be able to lift at least 25 pounds. He/She must be able to stand and squat for extended periods of time. He/She must be able to stand, sit, squat, bend and reach over his/her head. Other physical demands include but are not limited to:
- Walking/ climbing stairs
- Climbing and balancing on equipment, step stools, and ladders
- Standing or squatting
- Able to lift a minimum of 25 lbs
- Sitting at a desk for an extended period
- Bending, twisting, pushing, and pulling while cleaning and assisting in other duties including holding animals
While performing required duties of an Animal Shelter Customer Service Specialist, an employee can be exposed to moderate to very high noise levels. Duties will be performed at the Walker County Animal Shelter, but could include working in the kennel area or outdoors at the Animal Shelter. Environmental factors include extreme weather conditions at times. The Animal Shelter Customer Service Specialist is also exposed to different types of animals while working at the shelter, some animals could be labeled aggressive so the understanding of your surroundings and location of animals is always important. The animal shelter at times has dominating and potent smells in all work environments due to the animals it cares for.
STANDARDS FOR MEASURING PERFORMANCE
- Successful development and implementation of objectives; continuous growth in service provided
- Appropriate and positive interaction with staff, management, volunteers, community groups and professional associates and private citizens
- Accomplishment of job functions in an effective and timely manner
- Effectiveness in establishing priorities, working on multiple assignments and concurrent projects, appropriately completing assigned tasks
- Exercise of sound judgment in the absence of specific guidelines
- Demonstrated ability to thoroughly analyze problems; to meet demanding and changing deadlines in spite of interruptions
- Compliance with established policies and procedures
- Ability to work alone or with a team
Click here to apply for this position.